Return to: Index of "International Adoptions Reports" Index of "Population, Refugees and Migration" || Electronic Research Collections Index || ERC Homepage

U.S. Department of State
1995:  International Adoption -- Uruguay
Bureau of Consular Affairs

     FOREIGN COUNSEL.                                                
     GENERAL:  Although Uruguay permits adoption by foreigners, laws
     requiring one to two years residence with the child before the
     adoption is finalized create a practical barrier.  Uruguayan
     adoptive parents are given preference in adoptions, and there
     are few children available for adoption by foreigners.  Anyone
     over age 30 may adopt, irrespective of marital status, provided
     there is at least a 20-year age difference between the adoptive
     parent and child.  It is desirable, but not mandatory, that the
     adopting parents live in Uruguay during the period of custody
     before the adoption is complete.  Only in exceptional cases is
     the removal of children abroad permitted before the adoption is
     finalized.  The child can travel abroad only with the
     authorization of the judge.  
     Anyone wishing to adopt Uruguayan children should contact the
     Instituto Nacional del Menor (INAME), Instituto de Adopcion, 
     Rio Branco 1394, Montevideo, Uruguay, and the Foreign Ministry
     regarding the necessary documents and other requirements.  Most
     adoptions are decreed by the Juzgado de la Familia (Family
     Court), in conjunction with INAME.  Adoption documents are
     registered at the Direccion del Registro de Estado Civil (Civil
     Registry) within 30 days of the adoption.
     There are two methods of adoption in Uruguay:
     1.  "Adopcion" - This requires the consent of the biological
     parents, if they are alive, or of the child's legal
     representative.  After adopcion, the child is still considered
     to belong to his natural family and maintains his legal rights
     as a child in that family despite the fact that he is legally
     adopted by someone else.  Adopcion is completed through public
     notice/documentation.  INAME certifies the "moral fitness" and
     financial stability of the adoptive parents after they have had
     the child under their care and protection for two years. 
     Adoption can be revoked for "just cause".
     2.  "Legitimacion Adoptiva" - To be eligible, the child must be
     abandoned, orphaned (both parents deceased), a ward of the
     state, or the child of unknown parents.  Adoptive parents must
     be "morally fit", financially able, and have had the child
     under their guardianship or custody for at least one year.
     Before attempting to adopt a child from any overseas location,
     U.S. citizens should ensure that they understand the legal
     requirements for admission of adopted children into the United
     States.  Adoptive parents should contact the U.S. Immigration
     and Naturalization Service for further information, and may
     wish to review INS's publication No. M-249, "The Immigration of
     Adopted and Prospective Adoptive Children."  The Department of
     State's Office of Children's Issues can also provide a copy of
     the circular entitled "International Adoptions."
     1. "Adopcion" - Anyone over the age of 30 is eligible to adopt
     a child, irrespective of marital status, as long as the
     adoptive parent is 20 years older than the child.
     2.  "Legitimacion Adoptiva" - Adoptive parents must have been
     married for at least five years, be over the age of 30 and be
     more than 15 years older than the child.
     There are no private adoption agencies in Uruguay.  Uruguay has
     not designated any foreign adoption agencies to handle adoption
     of Uruguayan children.  It is necessary to retain an Uruguayan
     attorney to assist in the adoption process.  The Department of
     State's Office of Children's Issues and the U.S. Embassy in
     Montevideo can provide a list of English-speaking lawyers
     practicing in Uruguay upon request.
     INAME (Instituto de Adopcion) and the Uruguayan Embassy or
     Consulates in the United States, or the Foreign Ministry in
     Montevideo should be able to provide information about the type
     of documentation required to apply for adoption of a Uruguayan
     child.  Generally, foreign documents must be authenticated and
     translated into Spanish.  U.S. civil records, such as birth,
     death, and marriage certificates must bear the seal of the
     issuing office.  They should be authenticated by the particular
     state's secretary of state, the U.S. Department of State
     Authentication Office, and the Uruguayan Embassy or Consulate. 
     Tax returns, medical reports and police clearances should
     likewise be authenticated by a local notary public or the
     appropriate issuing office, and the clerk of court of the
     county where the notary is licensed or some similar authority. 
     The U.S. Department of State's Authentication Office is located
     at 2400 M Street, N.W., Room 101, Washington, D.C.  20520,
     tel:  (202) 647-5002.  Walk-in service is available 8 a.m.
     to 12 noon Monday-Friday, except holidays.  You may contact
     that office for a schedule of fees.  It is advisable to take
     several copies of your authenticated documentation with you to
     Upon adoption, the child's Uruguayan birth certificate is not
     amended.  Rather, it is modified and reissued showing the
     adoptive parents as the natural parents.  As such, there is no
     indication that the child is adopted or that his/her natural
     parents are other than those listed.
     Embassy of Uruguay
     Consular Section
     1918 F Street N.W.
     Washington, D.C.  20008
     tel:  (202) 331-1313
     Consulates General of Uruguay are located in Chicago, Miami,
     New Orleans, New York and Santa Monica.
     It is advisable to contact the Consular Section of the U.S.
     Embassy in Montevideo at least one day in advance of the
     desired interview date to check that all required documents are
     in order and to set an appointment for the immigrant visa
     interview.  The Embassy cannot guarantee issuance of the visa
     in advance of the interview.  
     For the immigrant visa application the child will need a valid
     Uruguayan passport, a medical examination, two 1 3/4 inch color
     visa photos, and the appropriate Uruguayan adoption
     documentation.  The child must be present at the Embassy for
     the immigrant visa application.  The medical examination must
     be performed by a physician from an approved list of physicians
     using a specified form.  Unless special circumstances would
     indicate that the child's care will be particularly costly
     (such as a physical handicap), the adopting parents will not be
     required to provide further proof of their financial situation,
     as this information will have already been provided at the time
     of petition (I-600A or I-600) approval.

     Upon arrival in Uruguay to try to arrange an adoption, U.S.
     citizens should register at the U.S. Embassy, Consular Section,
     American Citizens Services.  The Embassy will be able to
     provide information about any outstanding travel advisories and
     to provide other information about Uruguay, including lists of
     physicians, attorneys, interpreters and translators.  The
     U.S. Embassy is located at Lauro Muller 1776, Montevideo,
     Uruguay. Telephone:  598-2-23-60-61 or 598-2-48-77-77.
     Fax:  598-2-48-86-11.  
     QUESTIONS:  Specific questions regarding adoptions in Uruguay
     may be addressed to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy or
     Consulate.  You may also contact the Office of Children's
     Issues, U.S. Department of State, Room 4800 N.S.,
     2201 C Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.  20520-4818, telephone
     (202) 647-2688 with specific adoption questions.  Recorded
     information concerning significant changes in adoption
     procedures is available 24 hours a day at: (202) 736-7000, or
     by automated fax (calling from the telephone on your fax
     machine) at (202) 647-3000.  If the country you are interested
     in is not listed, procedures have not significantly changed. 
     Information on immigrant visas is available from the State
     Department's Visa Office, at (202) 663-1225.  This 24 hour
     automated system includes options to speak with consular
     officers during business hours for questions not answered in
     the recorded material.  Application forms and petitions for
     immigrant visas are available from the U.S. Immigration and
     Naturalization Service, the nearest office of which is listed
     in the federal pages of your telephone book, under  U.S.
     Department of Justice.
     In addition, the State Department publishes Consular
     Information Sheets and Travel Warnings.  Consular Information
     Sheets are available for every country in the world, providing
     information such as the location of the U.S. Embassy, health
     conditions, political situations, and crime reports.  When
     situations are sufficiently serious that the State Department
     recommends U.S. citizens avoid traveling to a country, a Travel
     Warning is issued.  Both Consular Information Sheets and Travel
     Warnings may be heard 24 hours a day by calling the State
     Department's Office of Overseas Citizens Services at
     (202) 647-5225 from a touch-tone telephone.  The recording is
     updated as new information becomes available.  In addition,
     this information is accessible through the automated fax
     machine, as above, and is also available at any of the 13
     regional passport agencies, field offices of the U.S. 
     Department of Commerce, and U.S. Embassies and Consulates
     abroad.  Furthermore, you may write in requesting information,
     sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Overseas Citizens
     Services, Room 4811 N.S., 2201 C St., N.W., U.S. Department of
     State, Washington, D.C.  20520-4818.  Finally, information is
     available through your personal computer.  If you have a
     computer and a modem, you can access the Consular Affairs
     Bulletin Board (CABB).  This service is free of charge, and may
     be reached at: (202) 647-9225.  Consular Information Sheets and
     Travel Warnings may also be accessed by subscribers to many
     on-line services.  For complete information on accessing
     consular information via computer, please request document
     1016, entitled "Consular Information Program," from the
     automated fax system, which is described in the preceding

To the top of this page